Soup Supper at Home with Colleen Hill
CLICK on the arrow in the picture to view Holy Trinity’s “Soup Supper at Home – Souper Fun Cooking Video” during this Season of Lent:
Colleen Hill making Chicken Tortilla Soup.
SOUPER FUN COOKING VIDEOS
In lieu of gathering for Soup Suppers during the Season of Lent,
Holy Trinity presents “Soup Supper at Home”
Watch the video of your friends making soup in their home.
It’s another SOUPER FUN way to stay connected with each other.
Chicken Tortilla Soup with Colleen Hill
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (10 ounces) Rotel Tomatoes and Green chilies
32 oz low sodium chicken stock or chicken broth
3 tbsp. Tomato paste
4 cups hot water
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp. Cornmeal or masa
5 whole corn tortillas, cut into uniform strips 2 to 3 inches
Sour cream, diced red onion, diced avocado, pico de Gallo, grated jack cheese and/or cilantro for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 375˚. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Shred chicken. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed—add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to under-salt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with sour cream, diced red onion, diced avocado, pico de gallo, and grated cheese (and/or, if you have it!)
The garnishes really make the soup delicious.
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
Let us know which type of soup you make!
Find us on Youtube @Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Thousand Oaks