OUR HISTORY

FIFTY-EIGHT YEARS OF MINISTRY IN THE CONEJO VALLEY


SUMMARY OF OUR HISTORY

  • September 24, 1959 – Pastor Robert Lawson hosts a meeting in his home to discuss the beginnings of a new Lutheran congregation
  • October 4, 1959 – Holy Trinity holds its first worship service in a converted chicken coop
  • April 3, 1960 – Holy Trinity holds its first formal worship service in a spruced up chicken coop
  • September 15, 1960 – The Augustana Lutheran Church Women of Holy Trinity is formed, laying the groundwork for today’s still-active Dorcas, Ruth, and Mary-Martha fellowship Circles
  • October 25, 1960 – Holy Trinity holds its first Sunday School classes during the 9:45 educational hour
  • November 1, 1960 – Luther League, Holy Trinity’s youth group, meets for the first time
  • January 16, 1961 – land is purchased at the corner of Avenida de Los Arboles and Mount Clef for $30,000
  • April 16, 1961 – Ground is broken to begin construction of Holy Trinity’s first building
  • October 15, 1961 – A multipurpose room is dedicated to serve as a classroom and sanctuary
  • Fall of 1961 – Classes begin at California Lutheran College, and Holy Trinity lends its meeting space to students and professors
  • September 23, 1973 – New education building and playground are dedicated, paving the way for Holy Trinity’s Honey Tree ministry
  • 1979 – Holy Trinity calls its first female pastor, Reverend Lillyanne Belusa
  • 1980s – Muslim families in the Conejo Valley begin using space at Holy Trinity for prayers and other meetings
  • April 13, 1986 – A new sanctuary and office building are dedicated on the Holy Trinity campus
  • 1980s – Bishops’ Garden is planted on Holy Trinity campus
  • 1981 – Adult and youth education as well as visitor outreach efforts are expanded
  • 1983 – Holy Trinity hires its first full-time youth director, Steve Dwyer
  • 1983 – “Adventures in Faith” radio mission broadcast begins
  • 1987 – Conejo Valley Winter Shelter program begins, to serve area homeless community
  • 1990s – Pastor James Oines begins tutoring program with Park Oaks School
  • 1990s – A board of directors is organized to lead the Ventura County Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice; fair trade coffee becomes the staple drink at all church functions
  • 1990s – Rev. Ron Kragthorpe begins ministry to visit hospitalized and homebound individuals
  • 1990s – Associate Pastor Janet Hansted Meadors and Children’s Ministry program develop new Sunday School model and redesign First Communion and Confirmation courses
  • 2000s – Holy Trinity welcomes its first Parish Nurse, Rose Egertson, to lead wellness education and fitness classes, and coordinate blood drives
  • 2000s – Women’s Dorcas Circle Quilting Group begins making quilts for all babies baptized at Holy Trinity
  • 2000s – Anna Esmay and Anne Lieberknecht begin ministry at elderly care facility, providing manicures and companionship to bedridden residents
  • 2000s – A Peace Pole is erected in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks, to remind church attendees to serve in peacemaking roles in the world
  • 2004 – The church library is renovated
  • 2005 – Holy Trinity begins its first contemporary-style praise band to lead music during worship
  • 2009 – Holy Trinity adolescents attend the ELCA National Youth Gathering in New Orleans and help retain a park destroyed by Hurricane Katrina
  • 2009 – Holy Trinity members raise funds to build a bell tower at sister church Espiritu del Gozo (“Spirit of Joy”) in El Salvador